EEA Family Permit FAQ

EEA Family Permit FAQ

In this blog post, we answer your frequently asked questions about the family permit.

What is an EEA family permit?

European Economic Area family permits or EEA family permits are issued under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016. The issue of the permits does not fall under the stricter United Kingdom (UK) immigration rules.

The purpose of the family permit is to allow overseas nationals, from outside of the EEA (non-EEA nationals) to enter the UK and accompany or join their EEA family member.

For instance, one of our clients, Jean, was a French national, living in Belgium, with his wife who was a national of Côte d’Ivoire. Jean’s employers offered him the opportunity to work at their London branch. Jean was able to exercise his free movement rights and travel freely to the UK. However, Jean’s wife, Marsha, required an EEA family permit to accompany him to the UK.

Who can get an EEA family permit?

A non-EEA national may apply for an EEA family permit if they are the:

  • Direct family member of an EEA national, or
  • Extended family member of an EEA national

What does the EEA family permit look like?

If approved, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will place a visa vignette in the non-EEA national’s passport.

How do you apply for an EEA family permit?

An application for a family permit must be completed and submitted to UKVI via their online portal. 

How long does the EEA family permit take?

EEA family permit visas are normally processed within 15 to 30 workings days from the date of the biometric appointment.

For example, if the application were submitted on 20 November and applicant provided their biometric data in person on 10 December, then the processing time would begin as of 10 December.

COVID-19: Due to the Covid-19 or the coronavirus pandemic, visa application centres are subject to closure at short notice, sometimes making it impossible for applicants to provide their biometric data. In addition, applications are facing delays to the overall processing times as UKVI work through the backlog of cases.

Can the EEA family permit be refused?

Yes. The EEA family permit application can be refused.

In fact, a former client, Jada, almost gave up on her plans to travel to the UK after her husband’s EEA family permit had been refused on 3 separate occasions. Jada, a Spanish national, and her spouse Sam, a national of Colombia, both lived in Spain and wished to travel to the UK together in order to visit Jada’s extended family.

UKVI had initially refused Sam’s application because they did not believe that Sam was the family member of an EEA national, despite the couple’s assertions that they had provided proof of Jada’s identity.

The couple subsequently submitted a legalised copy of Jada’s passport. And yet on the second and third occasion, the applications were refused because UKVI questioned the genuineness of their marriage and their ability to adequately fund their travel to the UK.

Jada felt exasperated by the couple’s experiences with UKVI. Jada stated that she hadn’t expected the process to be so convoluted and document heavy. After all, she was an EEA national, the couple were married and neither one of them intended to stay in the UK long term. They simply wanted to visit the UK for tourism purposes.

Yet by providing adequate documentation in support of the application, Jada and Sam were eventually able to travel to the UK and catch up with their family members.

See our blog post on EEA family permit refusals.

If you would like assistance, or if you have any questions, contact us now at or on +44 (0) 203 488 1061.

EEA family permit or visitor visa?

A non-EEA national may apply for a visitor visa to enter the UK. However, where the person is a family member of an EEA family member, it is preferable to apply for a family permit.

Taking the example of Jada and Sam above, Sam intended to travel to the UK and leave at the end of his visit. He could have applied for a visitor visa.  However, the EEA family permit application does not carry a fee and the EU Regulations can be more generous than the UK’s immigration rules that the visitor visa falls under.

Further, Sam would not have been entitled to a right of appeal had he believed that the decision to refuse the visitor visa application was incorrect and worthy of challenge. 

How long is the EEA family permit valid for?

The EEA family permit is valid for 6 months.

Can the EEA family permit be renewed?

If a non-EEA national wishes to travel to the UK after the validity of the EEA family permit, they will be expected to apply for a new permit to facilitate their travel.

However, if the non-EEA national wishes to stay in the UK longer term, they may apply for a document under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) to recognise their right of residence.

Can a person work under the EEA family permit?

This is a difficult one. A close family member of an EEA national may exercise their Treaty rights in line with the EEA family member.  For that reason, a non-EEA national should be able to take up employment and work in the UK.

The issue is that the EEA family permit is not listed as an ‘acceptable’ document to evidence a person’s right to work under UK legislation and UKVI guidance. This is in part, because not all EEA family permit holders are permitted to work in the UK without restrictions.

In light of the omission of EEA family permits from the right to work legislation, UK employers are unlikely to hire a person who is not in possession of an approved residence document.

Nevertheless, some employers are aware that they may hire a non-EEA family member if they are satisfied of their direct relationship to the EEA national. And if so, the UK employer will request alternative original documentation such as:

  • Evidence of the non-EEA national’s own identity, such as their passport; and
  • Evidence of their relationship with the EEA family member, such as a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or birth certificate; and
  • Evidence that the EEA national family member has a right of permanent residence in the UK or that they have been exercising their Treaty rights in the UK for more than 3 months.

For the last point, evidence may take the form of an employment contract, wage slips, or letter from a school, college or university with evidence of sufficient funds.

Yet, the risk to the employer of relying upon documentary evidence, other than a residence card or document issued by UKVI, is that the employer will not have a statutory excuse against a statutory penalty.

A statutory penalty can be issued where the non-EEA family member is later deemed to have been working unlawfully in the UK.

So, it is strongly recommended that a non-EEA family member apply for a residence card or seek advice from an accredited immigration advice at the earliest.

Is the EEA family permit a non-settlement visa?

That’s correct. The EEA family permit entitles the non-EEA national to enter and re-enter the UK within the validity of the visa. It does not evidence their right to settle in the UK.

Can the EEA family permit holder travel to Europe?

The UK has not signed up to the Schengen Agreement. As such, EEA family permit holders must apply for the correct visa or visas to travel within the Schengen area.

What happens now that the UK has left the Europe Union?

The UK is no longer a member of the European Union. From 1 January 2021, the UK is no longer be subject to Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016. Extended family members will be unable to apply for a permit to enter the UK after this date. Close family members, may in certain circumstances, apply for a permit to join their family members in the UK.

EEA nationals and their non-EEA family members already in the UK, will have a right of residence under the EU Settlement Scheme.

EEA nationals or Swiss citizen, and their qualifying family members may apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021, where they will be granted pre-settled status or settled status.  


We hope that this blog post answers some of your questions about the EEA family permit and application process.

If you have any queries that you would like us to answer please feel free to post your questions below.

Written by Carla Thomas – Managing Director at Thomas Chase immigration.

Thomas Chase Immigration offer immigration assistance to individuals and families.

Call to action

If you have questions or concerns or you would like straightforward immigration advice, or assistance with your application to extend your visa, feel free to contact us.

Contact us at, and visit to arrange a consultation. Or learn more about from our blogs

Liked this blog?

Share this blog post with someone who may benefit from the content.


12 responses to “EEA Family Permit FAQ”

  1. Bina avatar

    Hello I have a questions. My mother in law have a visa eu family settlement by me, her sponsor, but her visa is expired since 15 february 2022.
    2 weeks before visa expired my husband aplly for visa or euss, she have appointment for biométrie but at this day I have no response for application. I furnish by doctor a letter for appointment for check up her health and after appointment she’s fine. The ukvi know everything about personne health its For this no réponse at time ? Thanks

  2. Fasil avatar

    I applied as an extended family member but unfortunately my EEA family permit refused.on 22sep2020 But I appeal against and My appeal was successful on March 2021 but home office not gave any answer till today My question is, will I be able to get a visa ?

  3. Momo avatar

    Hi there,

    I have got two EEA family permit visa, one in 2019 and another in 2020, this time I have applied once again for new one in 15 December, and I haven’t still get an answer, and when I ask for the status of my visa, they have told me that my case is complicated and may take longer. Is this an automated email that sent to everyone?
    Because I wonder as I have got two visas before.
    Your reply is highly appreciated

  4. Nicolas avatar

    I applied for my Family permit on the 4th of December 2020, Still waiting now. The problem is that my wife and I are stuck in Brazil because I don’t have my passport and if I ask for my passport because her pre-settled status has a 6-month limit while outside the UK. This pandemic has had her stuck here all this time.
    Can I ask for my passport and enter the UK with another visa because of my wife or I really don’t know what to do.

    Thank You

    1. Raissa Gonçalves avatar
      Raissa Gonçalves

      Hey Nicolas
      I’ve applied my family permit in SP – BR on 2nd of December 19 and also still waiting for an answer. My husband is already in the UK. I haven’t contact anyone yet as they say it could take 12 weeks to be ready. Can’t your wife apply for another type of vise before the 6 months pre settle expire?
      Are you planning to stay in the hotel quarantine?


  5. Mary Paiva avatar
    Mary Paiva

    Hi Thomas,

    Thanks for the information you been putting out there it has really helped us and my fiancé’s extended family permit. It is valid until May 2021.
    Due to Covid and the fact that he had to give notice to his workplace he decide to come in January but because of the lockdown he is now coming on 15th February from Canada!

    Can you please our mind that he won’t have any issues since his Visa vignette is valid until May 2021?

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hello Mary,

      Thank you for the feedback. It’s great to hear that the blog post has benefitted you and your fiancé!

      In general, an EEA family permit holder will be permitted to enter the UK within the dates specified on the permit.

      Please note that EEA nationals entering the UK under a EEA family permit must apply for pre-settled status, under the EU Settlement Scheme, if they wish to remain in the UK.

      The deadline for applications for pre-settled status is 30 June 2021.

      All the best!

  6. Imtiaz Ahmad avatar
    Imtiaz Ahmad

    I applied as an extended family member but unfortunately my EEA family permit refused. But I applied again and gave BIOMETRICS on 23 of December 2020 . My question is, will I be able to apply pre settle status after getting EEA FAMILY PERMIT after 1/1/2021. or not.?

    Secondly I also have file the APPEAL IN COURT , if my appeal will be successful can I enter the UK after 01/01/2021 and can apply pre settle status?

  7. Hans avatar

    The website states that non-eea nationals can use their article 10 residence cards issued by the member state to enter the in when accompanying the EEA family member until 31 December 2020.

    Does this also apply to british national family members, e.g. british national living with non-eea wife in Germany. Can the wife enter the UK with the german issued art. 10 residence card with her british husband? Can the entry be refused if they’ve been living in Germany less than 3 months, but already have residence card?

  8. Aamir Aziz avatar
    Aamir Aziz

    I HAVE ONE QUESTION we are apply of my wife viza EEA SWISS FAMLY PERMENT 11 Nov 2020 i mean biomatric
    Every one says with’n 2 week they reply
    Some one saying 15 days reply
    Today is 4 dec 2020
    I am waried about my wife eea viza plz reply

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hello Aamir,

      UKVI’s published processing times may be extended if they require more time to consider the application.

      Further, we have seen some applications go beyond the published time-frame due to the ongoing pandemic.

      We suggest that your wife contact UKVI to clarify the status of the application – see link:

  9. Violeta - Iacob avatar
    Violeta – Iacob

    Hi! I am pretty confused about the right of working in UK for a non-european who has the EUSS Family Permit. How they can apply for NINO if they do not have a biometric card as the EUSS Family Permit is issue up to 6 months? They need first to apply for pre-settled or settled status and then apply for NINO and then stating to work? Or they can work right away and later after 6 months they can apply for pre-settled or settled status and in the end they will apply NINO.

    Thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *