Lost Life in the UK Test Letter

Lost Life in the UK Test Letter

Applying to naturalise as a British citizen? Or in the process of applying for indefinite leave to remain? Lost your Life in the UK test letter? Here’s a guide on what to do next.

When applying for indefinite leave to remain or to naturalise as a British citizenship, the applicant must demonstrate that they have knowledge of the English language and knowledge of life in the UK (also known as the KOLL requirement). The is demonstrated by sitting and passing the Life in the UK test.

The Life in the UK test is test taken over 45 minutes, containing 24 questions based on British traditions and customs. The test is meant to test the applicant’s understanding of British civic-political duties, such as voting requirements. The test carries a fee, which is payable each time the applicant sits the test.

On the successful completion of the test, the applicant will receive a Life in the UK Test Pass Notification Letter. This letter must be kept sake. Why? Because a duplicate will not be issued.

There are quite a few instances of clients reporting of their lost Life in the UK test letter. After all, the letter appears quite flimsy and plain and can easily be confused with other household documents.

So what can an applicant do, when they are about to apply for indefinite leave to remain or British citizenship, and realises that they have either misplaced or lost their Life in the UK test letter?

If the Life in the UK letter is lost or misplaced, it will not be possible to obtain another copy, as stated above. Instead, the Home Office advise the applicant to write a letter addressed to them, explaining that the Life in the UK Pass Notification Letter has been lost.

The letter should provide details of:

  • The applicant’s full name, nationality and date of birth;
  • Date that they sat the Life in the UK test and location; and
  • The test pass number.

It is important to state the Life in the UK test pass number, if this is known.

Once the letter has been drafted, the applicant should include it with their application for citizenship or indefinite leave.

Once the letter and application has been received by the Home Office, the Home Office will use the information to confirm whether the applicant has indeed passed the Life in the UK test.

This process has proven successful for a recent client. That client was extremely organised. And yet, she was baffled as to how her Life in the UK test letter came to be misplaced. Things happen to the best of us.

Still, the overall advice is to keep the Life in the UK Pass Notification Letter extra safe, or at the very least, take a copy of the letter.

And don’t let a lost Life in the UK test letter prevent you from applying for indefinite leave or British citizenship within your planned timescales. There is normally a solution!

Written by Carla Thomas – Managing Director at Thomas Chase Immigration.

Thomas Chase Immigration offer immigration assistance to individuals and families.

Liked this blog?

You might also like:

Call to action

Need straightforward immigration advice or assistance with your application.

Contact us at info@thomaschaseimmigration.com to arrange a consultation. Or learn more about from our blogs


28 responses to “Lost Life in the UK Test Letter”

  1. Paz avatar

    Hello Thomas,

    I sat my Life in the UK test in 2012 and got my ILR shortly after. In the time since I have lost my test letter during a house move and I no longer have my test pass number.

    I know the date and the city I sat the test in, but I am unsure of the exact address of the test centre as its been such a long time and I can’t find the email confirming my booking – I believe it got lost when Hotmail merged with Outlook.

    Will this impact on my applying for citizenship? Is there a way to get my test pass number before I apply? Will I need to resit the exam? Or am I stuck and unable to apply for citizenship now?

    I know you can’t provide individual help here, but if at all possible a general idea of what steps I should be looking at taking would be deeply appreciated.

    Thank you for any and all help you can offer me.

  2. Fatima Mohamed avatar
    Fatima Mohamed

    I lost my reference number I want apply for citizenship please could help me please

    1. Fahim Hussain avatar
      Fahim Hussain

      how did you find the reference no in the end please?

  3. Sonia Ayub avatar
    Sonia Ayub

    Hi I lost my life in Uk test certificate when my husband kick me and my kids out from his house. And I move to council house, I don’t no where is my certificate and I don’t no the reference number too please help me I want to apply for citizenship many thanks

  4. Stella Chizoba ukaegbu avatar
    Stella Chizoba ukaegbu

    I lost my life in uk certificate, how do I get a new one.

  5. Silva kitonsa avatar
    Silva kitonsa

    I lost my certificate in 2005
    Say my test in Lambeth Brixton
    Can I still apply

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hello Silva,

      As a guide, you can resit the test or write a letter to UKVI as per the post.

      Good luck.

  6. Chioma avatar

    Please I forgot to put my life in uk reference number before sending my application for settlement, please what should I do?

    1. Dichhen avatar

      Hi did it work?

  7. Piyali Barua avatar
    Piyali Barua

    Hi I gave my exam on 2017 in Croydon.but I had a domestic violence with my ex husband,and I don’t have any contact with him and I don’t have a reference number of my certificate,please can you help me how to get a copy of my certificate.

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hello Piyali,

      We can certainly assist you with next steps. Please feel free to give us a call.

      In the interim, you may wish to contact UKVI directly on 0300 123 2253 about the Lost Life in the UK Test certificate.

      All the best.

    2. Almamie jawara avatar
      Almamie jawara

      Hi I misplaced my life in uk test, try to get it back by calling the college but they told me the dont do it and don’t have in anymore so am stuck as I paid and passed the test few years ago, spoken to my lawyer and he said it doesn’t expire, can I write a letter to the home office to see if I can get it back as am in the process off doing my citizenship. Please help

  8. Esha avatar

    Hi I’ve done my life in the UK test during pandemic I didn’t get any certificate however I’ve got a reference number. I was told to login and get the certificate online. However, I used my school email so when I tried to login I forgot my password and now I’ve moved school and that email don’t work. What should I do? Would my reference work or do I need the certificate?

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hello Esha,

      We cannot give specific advice in this forum.

      Normally, the applicant will be issued with a unique reference number after successfully sitting the Life in the UK Test. If so, that number may be entered into the application form.

      If not, the applicant can either write a letter, as outlined in the above post.

      Much will depend on the circumstances. Do get in touch if you would like to arrange a call to discuss in more detail.

  9. Samuel Okoli avatar

    I lost my life in the UK certificate after my first application was refused based on proof of address of one of the addresses I have stayed in, and was asked by the home office to wait for another three years before I could reapply, but now that I can’t find my certificate after moving home. How can I go about it to reapply successfully please? Thank you

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hi Samuel,

      Please see our blog on this for details.

      If you would like specific advise or assistance with the application, please feel free to contact us at info@thomaschaseimmigration.com.

      All the best.


    I Lost Life in the UK test certificate

    1. Maryam Ali avatar

      Hi I have lost my life in uk test certificate and do not know my reference I would like to apply my citizenship I don’t know what am thinking to write a latter to the home office and explain what happened I remember the time and date I took the test and the test centre is that gonna be okey am scared that am gonna get refuse because of that many thanks

    2. ZANETA MLYNARSKA avatar

      I lost my certificate Life in the UK:(( I found the date of exam and where was

  11. Harpreet singh avatar
    Harpreet singh

    Hi I’ve lost my indefinite to leave to remain card. Could someone please guide me to apply for another one pls. It’s for a Uk .

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hello Harpreet,

      It is strongly recommended that you contact UKVI to report the loss of your BRP and to request a replacement.

      The following link may assist: https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/lost-stolen-damaged.

      Please be aware that UKVI can issue large fines for failure to seek a replacement BRP within 3 months of the loss of the document.

      All the best.

  12. John A Omirinde avatar
    John A Omirinde

    I lost my life in the UK pass test result reference and do not remember my score and date but I remember the year. What should I do please

  13. S Khan avatar
    S Khan

    How can I recover my lost pass number of Life in the UK Test?

    Is there any link with NI?

    Do you charge to find out my pass number? If, how much?

  14. Joy Inyinbor avatar

    I lost my life in uk test certificate

  15. Whitney Jones avatar
    Whitney Jones

    My fathers solicitor destroyed all of his paperwork that he has left there due to saving money to actually be able to afford everything. The life in the UK test certificate gone completely and other relevant paper work, a deposit was paid in 2017. With it only being 3 years is it sufficient to say that the documents were destroyed as part of Data Protection…

  16. Zahara avatar

    I lost my life in the UK pass test result reference

    1. Muna Ali avatar
      Muna Ali

      hi I lost my life in the UK test
      I passed it in 2012, is possible to recover the ref number

  17. Camilla Jones avatar
    Camilla Jones

    My partner is getting British citizenship, I would just like to say that one cannot go to any post office and get biometrics done, plus the fact that when she did her life in the UK test in Croydon, she received an email with a URN number, no letter has been received.
    I personally find it quite confusing to say the least.
    I look forward to your reply – thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *