Settled Status Scheme

Settled Status Scheme

The UK Government has set out their latest position on the settled status scheme, as it will apply to EEA nationals and their family members.

The statement rehashes much of the information provided by Prime Minister Theresa May on 26 June 2017, about the new ‘settled status’ and the Secretary of State for the Home Department, Sajid Javid on 22 June 2018.

The statement reads as follows:

The Home Office has been working to develop a new scheme which allows resident EU citizens and their family members to obtain the UK immigration status they will need in order to remain here permanently.

The EU Settlement Scheme will be fully open by 30 March next year. EU citizens and their family members will have until 30 June 2021 to apply, in line with the draft Withdrawal Agreement.

Testing is already underway. Since August, EU citizens working for a small number of NHS trusts and universities in the north west of England, and students at those universities, have been able to apply for status under the scheme.

A new phase of testing will begin next month. It will involve many more organisations across the UK, including higher education institutions and organisations in the wider health and social care sector. Testing the system with real applicants helps the Home Office ensure the new system operates effectively when it opens fully.

You do not need to do anything for now. EU citizens eligible to apply in the latest test phase will receive information from their employer.

Further information about the scheme can be found on GOV.UK.


What next?

At the risk of being repetitive, it must be stressed that if you are an EEA national, or family member, residing in the UK, nothing has changed. After all, the UK is still a Member State of the EU.

It can be beneficial to wait until the new settled status scheme has been fully rolled out and apply for recognition under that scheme.

Nevertheless, we are aware of many EEA nationals, and their family members, who have already resided in the UK for a significant amount of time, and who have submitted an application for certification of their permanent residence status in order to better meet the requirements to naturalise as British citizens.

Of course, time will be a major factor as applications will need to be submitted soon.

The key is to and seek advice and plan the best way forward for you and your family. We can arrange a telephone consultation should you wish to discuss your immediate and longer term options.

Written by Carla Thomas – Managing Director at Thomas Chase immigration. Thomas Chase Immigration offer immigration help to individuals and families.

Call to action

Need straightforward immigration advice or guidance on the settled status scheme?

Contact us at to arrange a consultation. Or learn more about from our blogs


4 responses to “Settled Status Scheme”

  1. miss jalland avatar
    miss jalland

    Hello ,my husband married me 2 years ago in uganda at regestrar but his uk british citizen and return back to uk and me am non uk citizen and ihave never visited uk and him his aretired not working but incase iwant to visit him like 3 months to 6 months can I apply for EUSS family while am in uganda ??? Or I first visit Uganda ??? And which visa ican ask to migration and what proof of evedence ican give there ???

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hello Miss Jalland,

      Details about the family visa route under the UK immigration rules can be found here:

      A non-EEA spouse may travel to the UK under a standard visitor visa on order to visit with their spouse. If so, they must evidence their intention to leave the UK at the end of their visit.

      If the family member is a British citizen who had exercised their Treaty rights in another member State, it may be possible for their family members to apply for EEA family permits.

      Much will depend on the individual circumstances.

  2. Corrado avatar

    My wife (non EU) is going to apply to get a residence card in the UK as she is my spouse. I’m an Italian citizen working in the UK. She will apply likely after 29 March 2019. Currently she has a EU long term residence permit issued by Italian authority. I have seen that she needs to send UKVI her EU long term permit as part of the application. Will this then be returned to her or will she lose it once the UK residence card has been issued? Thanks in advance for your help. Corrado

    1. Thomas Chase avatar
      Thomas Chase

      Hi Corrado,

      The Home Office will return the documents once the application has been processed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *